This post was first published by Croydon Advertiser on 04/06/2017.
33 simple little things that make living in Croydon amazing
No town is perfect, but sometimes you just have to stop and appreciate the small things which make Croydon a great place to live.
Sure, people from out of the borough argue Croydon has a bad reputation, but that’s only because they don’t know what it’s like to be here for any longer than a flying visit.
From the quirky characters to the most unusual food, here are just 33 of the countless little things that make life in the borough fun …
1. We were home to the inspirational Croydon Running Lady – a woman so devoted to protecting the planet’s resources that she ran everywhere she went. That meant running 10 miles for fun every day and 25 miles on Sundays. She only used motorised transport twice in 40 years and had not used hot water, heating or a fridge since 1973.
3. Our parks are so nice that wild stags – such as this one called Jeremy who didn’t want to leave Park Hill – are keen to move in.
7. Even when they don’t mean to our residents make us smile – such as when a Selsdon resident unwittingly pruned a tree in their garden so that it looked like a giant penis.
11. Then there’s the New Addington woman who is known as The Dog Lady because she lives with nine pooches who she credits with transforming her life.
15. We have Morris dancers whose performances are so lively they lead to police being called.
17. Or the firefighters at Addington Fire Station, who donated their wages from when they worked to save the lives of passengers in the Croydon tram crash to the fundraising appeal set up to help victims’ families and survivors.
22. One of the greatest sit-coms ever written, Peep Show, was set and filmed in Croydon.