Council joins sustainable energy alliance
Croydon Council has pledged to stop using energy generated from fossil fuels by 2050 by joining a growing nationwide alliance across the public and private sectors.
At tonight’s Full Council meeting, Councillor Stuart King outlined the council’s new membership of UK100, a network of local authorities with a goal of using 100% clean energy by 2050. The commitment means the council aims for 70% of its energy to be from renewable sources such as wind, water or solar power, plus the remaining 30% through low-carbon fuels.
Croydon joining means the UK100 network now has around 80 local authorities on board, as well as business representatives and a higher profile when dealing with Government on environmental issues.
The council’s move comes months after it unveiled its new five-year air quality action plan, which includes a commitment to cutting the use of diesel engines across the borough, a greener council vehicle fleet and doing work with local schools to promote more sustainable travel.
“In Croydon we acknowledge the responsibility we have as a council to take a lead and to help secure an environmentally sustainable future, both for our residents and those beyond our borough.”
Councillor Stuart King, cabinet member for transport and environment
Polly Billington, Director of UK100, said: “UK100 is excited to welcome Croydon as a member, committed to 100% clean energy by 2050. This creates jobs and growth, enhances health and wellbeing and helps keep the costs of energy down by driving energy-efficiency for residents and businesses.”