By using this website, you consent to our use of cookies I Agree Read our cookie policy

Croydon’s tram network has finally reopened after huge warehouse fire

Croydon’s tram network has finally reopened after huge warehouse fire
Jan 07, 2019 Shaking Hands 0 comments
This post was first published by Croydon Advertiser on 07/01/2019.

Croydon’s tram network has finally reopened after huge warehouse fire

Trams had been stopped from running past the Shurgard storage warehouse ever since the blaze broke out on New Year’s Eve.

The tram route passing alongside the Shurgard self-storage centre destroyed in a major fire in Croydon on New Year’s Eve has now reopened.

Trams had been unable to run between Church Street and Mitcham Junction following the blaze, which broke out at 7.37pm on December 31 and burned for several days.

But Transport for London (TfL), who run London Trams, confirmed on Sunday evening (January 6) that the suspended part of the network was back up and running.

“The disruption following a fire on Purley Way has ended and a good service has resumed on all routes,” a spokesman for TfL said.

“I’ve also had confirmation that trams will be running a full weekday service in the morning (Monday). Thank you all for your patience over the last few days.”

Fire crews have remained at the self-storage warehouse since New Year’s Eve, and at the weekend the demolition process started on the mangled remains of the building.

When we visited the site on Saturday (January 5), small patches of smoke could still be seen rising from the wreckage and a fire crew was still there damping it all down.

The fire has left hundreds of people who stored items at the warehouse heartbroken.

While firefighters tackled the blaze, Purley Way and surrounding roads were closed.

London Trams: “Good morning all! I bring you good news, service has been fully restored between Church Street and Mitcham Junction. Have a great day” 

Young mum Lisa Gray is among those who have been left devastated by the fire. She is is waiting for a permanent house and watched in horror as the building burst into flames, destroying everything she had kept there before her move.

A dad with Parkinson’s disease has suffered worse symptoms after the fire destroyed his antiques business, which he ran with his wife and carer.

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of arson as police launched an investigation.

A 26-year-old has been released but remains under investigation. A 25-year-old has been released with no further action to be taken.

The cause of the fire is still unknown.