This post was first published by My London on 09/06/2019.
Croydon flats plan branded a ‘massive over development’ has been thrown out
It’s typical of the way residents are now raising their voices over so many flats being built.
There seem to be almost endless planning applications being submitted for flats in Croydon at the moment, but not everyone’s happy about it.
Many think that houses are being carved up and neighbourhoods being over-developed and turned into dormitory villages by so many blocks of flats going up.
This block in South Croydon is a case in point with residents making their voices heard to convince council to block the plan.
Concerns about a lack of parking have seen these plans for nine flats in South Croydon refused by the council.
And planning committee chair Councillor Toni Letts said she hopes this shows that the panel carefully considers every similar application.
Protest about over development
Earlier this year residents, mostly from the south of the borough, gathered at Croydon Town Hall to protest the council’s planning policy – many complaining that they thought there is over-development in the area.
Last week the planning committee refused plans for a pair of two-storey detached buildings of nine flats at the back of 3 1-33 Croham Valley Road.
There have been a number of previous proposals for the site. Most recently, planning permission was granted for a bungalow with two parking spaces.
The plans, put forward by Silverleaf Investments, would have seen the entrance to the development on Ballards Rise.
But the applicant said that despite providing only four parking spaces residents would most likely park on Ballards Way, the next road off Croham Valley Road.
’51 very concerned objectors’
Objector David Rutherford from the Croham Valley Residents Association told the meeting he was speaking on behalf of “51 very concerned objectors”.
He said: “The proposal is a massive over development of the site, incompatible overbearing and totally failing to integrate into the context causing significant harm to the appearance of the street scene.”
‘We need more three-bedroom homes’
Ward representative Councillor Maria Gatland said that what the area needed was more three-bedroom homes.
Of the nine flats proposed, just one was a three-bedroom property, with five two-bedroom flats and three one-bedroom flats.
Mrs Gatland also said that the additional people would add strain on the local infrastructure.
She added: “ This is a huge back garden development which is dominant and bulky. It does provide nine homes but only one three-bedroom home.”
The deputy chair of the planning committee proposed refusing the plans for not providing enough parking spaces.
But he did say that he liked the proposed design and has no problem with the building of flats on the site.
Councillor Paul Scott said: “ I think this scheme would work much better if the developer wasn’t trying to push for nine units and looked at a smaller number.
“I don’t understand why the parking bays have been restricted by having two refuse and recycling areas.
“My big concern here is that people will be tempted to park in the narrow road, Ballards Rise.
“I think there’s too much risk that if a few people park in that road, an emergency vehicle can’t get through.
“I think the developer needs to rethink this – maybe a smaller development with more parking bays.”
The committee voted to refuse the plans, followed by Councillor Letts reminding residents that the planning committee “carefully considers” all proposals.
She said: “Members of public take the view that we don’t take careful consideration to every planning application.
“I have to tell you that we do and I do hope that what has just happened is some evidence of that.”
The decision was made at a planning meeting on Thursday, May 30.